Monday, April 30, 2012

Limestone Weekend 5km Race Report

Like ripping off a band-aid, I needed to get this race run as quickly as possible, suffer through the pain and take it like a woman. Derrick's words of wisdom for me leading into the race were to, "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable again". I understood exactly what he meant because that was precisely what I had been building to for the past 4 weeks as I ran the pace specific interval workouts. However, as uncomfortable as running 3 x 3 minute sets are, a 1-2-3-3-2-1 ladder was, and a 9min progressive interval at race pace can be, holding that pace for a 5km is an entirely different level of "uncomfortable" that I have not courted for some time now.

As most of you know, being at that particular level of discomfort is not pleasant but it is a necessary evil and an evil that I willingly signed up to put myself through. So pretty much from 1km forward into the race my body was screaming to stop even though my head knew I had to keep moving forward and, "rip this band-aid off". It really wasn't until I hit the half way point when I gave up on any hope that I might stop running and walk back to my car and became fully committed to finishing that I found myself becoming, "comfortable with being uncomfortable again".

One could say that at the moment I became a captive participant in the race with no hope for escape I was forced to get comfortable with another level of discomfort that is almost impossible to tap into during my everyday training runs. In ripping off that band-aid of comfort I am now ready and set to discover new levels of sustainable uncomfortableness. Yeah for me, I think!??

Upcoming Races(Band-Aid Ripping Ceremonies)-
TBA

5 comments:

slowrunner said...

why, in gawd's name, would anyone want to run fast ...

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

I have no doubt that you know a level of uncomfortable that I have never even dreamed. Running fast is just a differnet kind that's all. Hope you enjoyed your weekend of running long and hard and I bet a wee bit fast also;-)

JD said...

I enjoy running hard on those shorter races. Hurts so good during, what a rush after!

Sara Montgomery said...

Good job ripping the band aid, EJ!

Derrick said...

Nice to get that first one out of the way. Good stuff! Onwards and upwards.